Saturday 22 October 2011

My Sister In Law Fought Breast Cancer, And Won



She shares her victory (the lady with short hair right before my niece) in this video that has almost 300k views in about a week.  There is a bit of a back story that I would like to share.  When the terrible news was broken, we invited Dan + Rach into our home where they could live (they lived about 1hr away from close family). And for 13 months, they stayed in our home while Rachel fought breast cancer, and won.  My other brother Brad and his family was also living in our home.  In all, we had 3 families totaling 12 people; yep, 3 brothers, their wives and kids. With my 2 bro's wives and kids, we had a lot going on. What an incredible experience as we could stand with Rachel.  To say it was not scary at times was an understatement.  But when Rachel was cleared of all cancer, my heart leaped for joy.  It was an honor to participate in the journey with Rachel in a small way as our family tried to support and encourage her.  Her mindset, posture and attitude was unreal.  She never complained, said 'why me' or let negative emotions rule her (at least from what I could observe).  She came across as strong and focused on the next treatment.  She appreciates life, baking, friends, family and most of all, her son Jack and her husband Daniel.  I gained an incredible perspective on her attitude of thankfulness (and about 10 lbs from her yummy baking).  She was thankful for what she had.  It was a very real lesson for me.  Rachel did not focus on being a victim, but 100% came off as being a victor...that makes her one of my hero's (regardless of what the outcome would have been)  Rachel, I love you and am proud of you.  You taught me thankfulness through your lifestyle of generosity and giving.

I encourage you today to take a brief moment and reflect on what you are thankful for.  

1 comment:

  1. Thankful for my sister and thankful she had people to care for her.

    ReplyDelete

Think of how you can make your point and be respectful.
Try to keep cursing to a minimum; with thanks.

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain