Friday 23 September 2011

"You Are Punished, Because You Are Wrong!"

Texas School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality

At some point during the conversation, he turned to a friend and said that he was a Christian and “being a homosexual is wrong.”

“It wasn’t directed to anyone except my friend who was sitting behind me,” Dakota told Fox. “I guess [the teacher] heard me. He started yelling. He told me he was going to write me an infraction and send me to the office.
“There has been a history with this teacher in the class regarding homosexual topics,” Krause said. “The teacher had posted a picture of two men kissing on a wall that offended some of the students.”
"My son knows people that are homosexual,” she said. “He’s not saying, ‘I don’t like you.’ He’s saying, ‘I’m a Christian and I believe that being that way is wrong.’”
Given how wickedly my last entry on this subject was taken out of context, I will ensure I qualify and use simple language.

There has yet to be 1 logical (notice I did not use the word emotional) argument as to why it is acceptable to advocate for one position and not the other one. (seems like the school and teacher lacked the very tolerance they were demanding of the student.) Given this, why shut the boy down, and more disgustingly, why punish? 
The boy took a position and it ought to be respected, just as it is obvious the teacher demanded respect for his position (ironically, by disrespecting the boy by allegedly yelling at him).

The illogical 'myth' that we need to agree homosexuality is morally acceptable in order to 'love' others is no different then one saying, my wife has to agree, accept and find morally acceptable my occasional laziness, occasional attitude and occasional (alright...often...) selfishness.  This is a silly argument.  Abby can still passionately love me (thank goodness) AND encourage me to abandon my attitude and selfishness: because they are not morally acceptable in our household.  Likewise, I am simply saying, the boy and others can love someone, and think that an action or lifestyle is morally wrong. 

Second point: saying something is morally wrong does not mean there is a lack of love, anymore then thinking an action is wrong and therefore condemns/casts judgment on the person.  For example, I do not come home to 'hate signs' that Abby and the girls crafted during the day.  "Down with Ryan...he is selfish and going to burn in hell".  I could not live a day in that environment.  It is hate, and terrible at that.  I happen to come home to a wife who partners with me in my journey of life...we give each other time, encouragement, prayer and support to overcome (slowly) the issues we are working on.  I shared a few blogs ago, I am overcoming being lazy and a victim.  I do not want to be around people who judge me, but I do appreciate they called out the moral shortcommings of both the matters I was working on (in a loving way to help me). 

Conclusion:
We can observe a moral short comming in me, you or anyone without judging them or lacking love in our relationship with them. If you don't think selfishness, being lazy, homosexuality are moral defects, fair enough. Then hopefully we agree that regardless of your positing on morality, there is an undercurrent of loving others without judging the person on condemning them




2 comments:

  1. This is unacceptable tyranny. I just hope his parents have the will and means to take this "teacher" to task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't really expect them to give the same respect to others that they demand for themselves do you?

    ReplyDelete

Think of how you can make your point and be respectful.
Try to keep cursing to a minimum; with thanks.

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain